Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Hakodate, Japan



After 8 days at sea we happily arrive at our first port. Hakodate is on the island of Hokkaido and is the gateway between the Japan Sea and the Pacific Ocean. This port is a major base for the fishing industry with about 21,000 ships coming in annually.

My first stop was at the morning market. Vendors sold vegetables, noodles and an array of seafood like I’ve never seen before. With all my experience as a naturalist there were creatures that I could not identify. Luckily, with the help of a vendor who spoke some English I got a crash course. The big seller of course is crab in all shapes and sizes with some reaching 2 feet across. Other edible critters were scallops, abalone, mussels, snails, frogs and the Hakodate mascot, the squid. It was incredible to see such a volume of seafood, vendor after vendor, and it made me realize how much is out in the seas and how important it is to this society. I tried some local crab mixed with goodies in a shell (I believe it was the green parts of the crab) and much to the delight of locals I not only ate it but licked my hand. A good laugh was had by all and the food was rather tasty.


In the afternoon I headed to Goryokaku Park and Tower. This area is the oldest western-style fortress in Japan built in 1864 after Commodore Matthew Perry negotiated the opening of several Japanese ports. The fort was built as a precaution against the threat of Russian attack. It is configured in a five-pointed star shape which allowed defenders to trap assailants in crossfire, clever. The moat was full of water and this is where I got my first Japanese lifer, the Spot-billed Duck.

In addition to the park is the Tower. The Japanese are fond of their towers which overlook the surrounding area and have wonderful viewing areas at the top. They sell posters, have collection stamps and characters that greet guests.



It was a glorious day and tomorrow onto the port of Otaru.

No comments: