Friday, October 23, 2009

Otaru and Sapporo, Japan



Overnight we cruised to the western side of Hokkaido Island and docked at the port of Otaru. It is believed that the name is derived from the Ainu (indigenous people) word “Otarunai” meaning “sandy swampland”; not a flattering name but a most beautiful place.

My first adventure was to explore the canal. The Otaru Canal was completed in 1920 to aid in the transport of goods to the city. Prior to the canal, ships would be off-loaded onto small tug boats (hashike) from the bay and these boats would then go up the canal, lined with warehouses, and drop off the goods. It was a very pleasant walk teaming with bird and plant life.

I then walked through the city and was amazed at the mix of buildings from the late 1800’s mixed with modern, western architecture. There were more open markets and vendors along the way and many of the local dogs, the Aikita, a medium sized, adorable fur-ball.

With half of my day remaining I decided to go to the JR (Japanese Rail) and make my way to Sapporo, this was an incredible city. As I emerged from the rail station (by the way not much was bilingual, I had to read Japanese characters that matched the city names…a great experience and challenge) much to my surprise were beautiful tall sky scrapers and buildings with TV’s on them, reminiscent of Time Square in New York.

The city was alive and vibrant and yet I longed for nature; Odori-koen was my goal. The Odori-koen is a park in the center of the city about 4,000 feet long; it was originally built as a precautionary fire barrier between the northern and southern districts and was beautiful.

I then made my way to the government district, finding 6 lifer birds at the lakes and in the trees on the grounds. The Japanese used this place as a break from the hustle and bustle of the city and so did I. Another fun discovery was the Gingko trees that I only knew as some holistic herb for health were the main local trees and it was fantastic to see them in all their glory…magnificent.

Next port….Aomori, Japan

No comments: