Thursday, July 21, 2011

Savannah Georgia to Hendersonville North Carolina

Yesterday was a great travel day. I started by visiting Skidaway Island State Park and it was incredible. The oak trees here are 80 - 100 feet tall with Spanish Moss hanging from the tree tops to the ground. They are in a drought period now too and some of my easiest and best birding happened at a 5 foot diameter water hole on one of the trails. It is so calming and peaceful to walk in the woods for miles with no humans in sight...everyone should do it now and again. At the visitor center they had couches lined up looking at the feeders and much to my delight I got a new bird the Painted Bunting. A male and female were feeding on millet and it was magnificent sight to have all this color surrounded by green and more green.


From there I headed northwest towards North Carolina going through downtown Savannah and seeing some of the beautiful homes and gardens. This is a place I need to come back to someday.

The rest of the day was spent driving through South Carolina and eventually into western North Carolina. It rained many times and felt good, something I had missed this season in the Everglades. Eventually the "low country" as it is called gave way to the mountains and it was fun to drive the rolling hills and the canyon river valleys.

My sister's house sits on a hill overlooking the Blue Ridge Mountains and will be a great place to relax and bird for awhile.

No comments: