Monday, April 12, 2010

Back to Childhood

Yesterday, The day started with a fly over by a Great Blue Heron which is a positive sign for me.

As I approached and drove through the Flint Hills of Kansas, much to my surprise there were fires everywhere; acre after acre, even up to the roadway, were on fire, charred or smoldering. If this were to occur in Colorado we would have a major disaster on our hands.

Upon entering Missouri, the “Show Me” state, I was amazed at the beautiful trees. The landscape was dominated by beautiful neon purple and white trees, Redbud trees that is. They bloom for a short time in the spring and it is spectacular; so lucky to be here for this.

Another incredible sight was the cliffs on the east side of the Missouri river. These cliffs were about 100 feet tall and the white of sunlight; a great contrast to the gray blue water of the river.

In the afternoon I started to notice how many ponds there were, everywhere. Each watering hole had at least one youngster with no shirt and no shoes with a fishing pole and it reminded me of my Grandpa. In my younger days I remember my grandfather, Chet, having figurines, toys and pictures of this very scene and wondered if it reminded him of his childhood here, where he grew up. What a great way to spend time.

As the day was ending I went to a meadow behind the hotel. I laid down in the grass smelling the sweet flowers in the air and looking at the clouds and for a moment I went back to childhood. Take the time, it’s worth it.

No comments: