Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Four States in One Day

What an incredible day yesterday driving through Missouri, Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee.

The day began with my first Great Egret flying overhead. It was a beautiful sight; the bird was in full breeding plumage looking like a bride with her veil trailing behind her.

I went by the St. Louis Arch and it was bigger than I had imagined; gleaming silver on the bank of the river.

Crossing into Illinois the trees got more numerous and forests covered the land. I took a break at Rend Lake and the birding was incredible as well as the weather and view of the water.

I went through Superman’s home, Metropolis, and saw a huge statue of him. It was quite a site and totally unexpected.

After crossing the Ohio River I went into Kentucky. Large, picturesque mansions dotted the landscape with the typical green rolling hills and horses you would expect. There were a lot more waterways than I expected and imagined living on the edge with my private dock as so many do.

Making my way into Tennessee the landscape changed again, “Mountains”. After driving on mostly flat land it was a pleasure to gain some elevation. I passed through Nashville and what a pretty town it is. I stopped for the day at the Smoke House Lodge, a fabulous Best Western, in the Mountains of Tennessee. It included cabins, a lake, tennis courts and an outdoor pool. I had fun exploring the grounds and birding. My day ended with a chorus of frogs singing me to sleep. Bliss.

No comments: