Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Land Changed

I left the mountain retreat in Tennessee yesterday and made my way to Georgia where I would drive through to Florida later that evening.

The north was wooded and lush and full of life and then the land changed.

After getting through Atlanta, a sprawling city with its traffic jams and congestion, I headed south and the landscape became more sparse and dry. The wildlife became less abundant and the diversity of plants was no longer.

As the sun was setting I entered Florida! I felt so at home, like I always do, and it was comforting. The sky was filled with white birds against the dark sky, egrets of every kind. The lakes and swamps became numerous and the saw palmettos along with the typical palm trees dominated the landscape. What a great way to end the day.

Today I reach my destination, the Everglades.

No comments: